529-0507-00L Hands-on Electrochemistry for Energy Storage and Conversion Applications
|Semester||Spring Semester 2020|
|Lecturers||L. Gubler, E. Fabbri, J. Herranz Salañer, S. Trabesinger|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Comment||Additional Information: Previous attendance to one of the two electrochemistry-related courses available at ETHZ (Electrochemistry by Prof. P. Novak, or Physical Electrochemistry and Electrocatalysis by Prof. T.J. Schmidt) is mandatory.|
|Abstract||The course will provide the students with hands-on laboratory experience in the field of electrochemistry, specifically within the context of energy related applications (i.e., Li-ion and redox flow batteries, fuel cells and electrolyzers).|
|Objective||Solidify the students’ theoretical knowledge of electrochemistry; apply these concepts in the context of energy-related applications; get the students acquainted with different electrochemical techniques, as well as with application-relevant materials and preparation methods.|
|Content||Days 1 & 2: Introduction to basic electrochemical processes|
Days 3 - 8: 3 x 2-day blocks of laboratory work (rotating assignments):
- Lithium-ion batteries
- Redox flow batteries
- Polymer electrolyte fuel cells
Days 9 & 10: preparation and completion of the course’s report and oral presentation (for evaluation)
|Lecture notes||The course material will be prepared and provided by the lecturers.|
|Literature||References to academic publications of specific relevance to the experiments to be performed will be included within the courses’ script|
|Prerequisites / Notice||- Course language is english. |
- The course will take place at the Paul Scherrer Institut, 5232 Villigen PSI (www.psi.ch).
- The number of participants is limited to 18 (first-come first-served basis, Master level students have priority over PhD students).
- Students are encouraged to bring their own protective gear for the work in the lab (lab coat, safety goggles). If needed, this can also be provided, please contact the organizers in advance.
- Participants need to be insured (health / accident insurance).
- On-site accommodation at the PSI guesthouse (www.psi.ch/gaestehaus) is possible and will be arranged.