327-2128-00L High Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy
|Semester||Spring Semester 2018|
|Lecturers||A. Sologubenko, R. Erni, R. Schäublin|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Abstract||This advanced course on High Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy (HRTEM) provides lectures focused on HRTEM and HRSTEM imaging principles, related data analysis and simulation and phase restoration methods.|
|Objective||- Learning how HRTEM and HRSTEM images are obtained.|
- Learning about the aberrations affecting the resolution in TEM and STEM and the different methods to correct them.
- Learning about TEM and STEM images simulation software.
- Performing TEM and STEM image analysis (processing of TEM images and phase restoration after focal series acquisitions).
|Content||This course provides new skills to students with previous TEM experience. At the end of the course, students will know how to obtain HR(S)TEM images, how to analyse, process and simulate them. |
1. Introduction to HRTEM and HRSTEM
2. Considerations on (S)TEM instrumentation for high resolution imaging
3. Lectures on aberrations, aberration correction and aberration corrected images
4. HRTEM and HRSTEM simulation
5. Data analysis, phase restoration and lattice-strain analysis
|Literature||- Detailed course manual|
- Williams, Carter: Transmission Electron Microscopy, 2nd ed., Springer, 2009
- Williams, Carter (eds.), Transmission Electron Microscopy - Diffraction, Imaging, and Spectrometry, Springer 2016
- Erni, Aberration-corrected imaging in transmission electron microscopy, 2nd ed., Imperial College Press, 2015.
- Egerton: Physical Principles of Electron Microscopy: an introduction to TEM, SEM and AEM, Springer Verlag, 2007
|Prerequisites / Notice||The students should fulfil one or more of these prerequisites:|
- Prior attendance to the ScopeM TEM basic course
- Prior attendance to ETH EM lectures (327-0703-00L Electron Microscopy in Material Science)
- Prior TEM experience